It is legal for any gun owner to ship his gun by common carrier to a licensed FFL holder for the purpose of repair or alteration.* All complete firearms must be taken to a UPS or FedEx hub (we prefer FedEx). You are required by law to declare that you're shipping a handgun. UPS and FedEx regulations require that all complete handguns be shipped Next Day Air. Long guns may be shipped ground service. Federal regulations require adult signature upon delivery.
NOTE: Do not include ammunition with your firearm. If you need to ship ammo, it must be sent separately.
- The gun should be packed securely so there will be no damage to sights, etc. The original manufacturers' box provides good protection, but any good box with the item cushioned within to prevent movement will do the job. (Long gun cardboard boxes will not be returned to you.)
- Insure for replacement value.
- Return address requirements: Physical Address (NO "shipping centers" or PO Boxes) Your gun will be returned to the address it is checked in from.
- Inside the box, be sure to include your name, address, daytime phone number, type of gun, serial number, and clear, complete instructions covering the work to be done. Specify caliber, model, accessories, and special features.
- Please be sure of your work order details when sending your initial order.
We will allow the first change free if work has not progressed too far. Additional changes will be subject to a charge of $25.00 per instance. We strongly urge that any changes be submitted IN WRITING. Although we will discuss changes over the phone, we will not be held responsible for changes that were not requested in writing.
Return Shipping: The gun will be returned directly to the owner/address from which it was received, or an approved FFL holder.
FROM UPS WEB SITE:
- You must ship your packages that contain handguns with UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services
- Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS SonicAir® service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services.
- When you are shipping your package that contains a firearm with UPS, you must affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
- Hub... also known as UPS Customer Centers are staffed shipping centers located on-site at UPS operating facilities nationwide, equipped to assist you with any UPS international, air or ground package shipment.
FROM FEDEX WEB SITE: Link
Firearms FedEx Express can only accept and deliver firearms between areas served in the U.S. under the following conditions: (1) you agree to tender shipments of firearms to us only when either the shipper or recipient is a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer or licensed collector and is not prohibited from making such shipments by local, state or federal regulations; (2) the shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable state law.
Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. or with a signature release. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx is required to notify the FedEx employee who accepts the package that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
You also agree not to ship firearms loaded or with ammunition in the same package. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
Long guns ONLY:
- FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
- Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
- Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
- If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release, driver release or indirect delivery.
- FedEx Ground cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.
- Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Ground is required to notify FedEx Ground that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
- The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
- The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
- FedEx Ground will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.
- FedEx Ground will not accept for transport handguns, assembled or disassembled.